Weather Closings & Delays
In an effort to make a determination by 5:45am, district staff will be out on the roads as early as 4:15am. We consult a variety of sources and work with area superintendents to make the most informed decision possible. Despite our best efforts, we know that things change in a matter of minutes. Families must ultimately determine, individually, if they are comfortable sending their student to school in inclement weather.Communication Tools
- INFINITE CAMPUS: In the event of a school cancellation or delay, Infinite Campus will be the primary communication tool used by the district. Families will receive communication in the form of a phone call, email, and, after opting in, a text message.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Posts will also be shared on the district’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, however the most up-to-date and accurate communication will be sent to families via Infinite Campus.
- LOCAL MEDIA: In addition to direct notifications, the local media outlets listed below will be contacted as time allows.
- Television: WHO Ch.13; Fox Ch.17; KCCI Ch.8; WOI Ch.5
- Radio: Newsradio 1040 WHO; KISS 107.5; The Bus 100.3; Alt 106.3; 1460 KXNO; The Bull 96.9
- Other: www.desmoinesregister.com; 13 Now App
Hard Surfaces Only Route Plan
Our transportation department has developed a Hard Surface Only route plan that will be implemented when conditions on gravel roads are determined too hazardous for school buses. The purpose of this plan is to provide alternative bus stops to students who are normally picked up and/or dropped off at stops located on gravel roads. In situations such as drifted or icy gravel roads, or soft surface gravel roads caused by excess rain, this plan will be implemented. For more information, visit the transportation section of our website.