Free Meals for All Students Ends With the 2022 School Year
April 5, 2022
When the 2021-22 school year ends, so do free meals for every student. While the federal government funded a program that allowed all students access to free meals during the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress recently declined to continue funding this program. This means families will need to carry a positive balance in their children’s meal accounts when school begins next fall.
We understand this change may cause some families to worry. There are important steps you can take today to make sure your child receives the meals they need next year.
- Complete an application for Free and Reduced Meals NOW. If your student qualifies for free or reduced meals, they can still receive them next year, but you must take action to make it happen. Once approved, families must sign a waiver authorizing the nutrition department to share this information with the business office so that other qualifying fees may be reduced or waived.
- Complete the 2021-2022 application for free and reduced meals before the end of this school year if you have not already filled out an application for the 2021-2022 school year. This will give you a 30-day grace period at the start of the 2022-2023 school year to complete another application for next year. Completed forms can be returned to the Nutrition Department via email at email@example.com.
- Mark your calendar to complete the 2022-2023 application which will be available on the district’s website after July 1, 2022. Even if you complete the 2021-2022 application, you will still need to complete the 2022-2023 application as well.
- For each year’s application, a signed waiver MUST be submitted in order for other qualifying fees to be reduced or waived. Waivers will be sent following the approval of each application.
- Budget for the cost of school meals (if you do not qualify for free and reduced meals). Families that do not qualify for free or reduced meals can start depositing money into their child’s RevTrak account to prepare for the cost of school meals next year. Information on breakfast and lunch prices for the 2022-2023 school year will be available in the near future.
- Pay off negative school meal balances. If your child has a negative account balance for meals, we encourage you to pay that as soon as possible via your child’s RevTrak account. If possible, we also suggest depositing money into this account to prepare for the 2022-2023 school year.
To apply for free or reduced meals, please click here to complete an application. For assistance completing the application, please contact Karen Miller using the information listed below. With any other questions regarding the department or its services, please contact Dave Walker.
Dave Walker, Director of Nutrition & Custodial Services
Karen Miller, Administrative Assistant