January 26, 2022
Board Highlights from the January 24 Meeting
• Director of Special Education Dr. Erin Bone and representatives from the K-12 special education department (pictured) provided an inside look at each building’s staffing and the various strategies and levels of support offered to students. The department’s full presentation can be found here.
• Thad Long with SVPA Architects shared overview information regarding each of the district’s facilities projects currently underway. A breakdown of each project can be found here.
• Clint Jensen with Story Construction and Don Marner with Snyder & Associates provided an update on the improvements planned for Grant Street near the new junior high building. The project will include a number of turning lanes to assist traffic flow in the area. Construction will begin early summer 2022.
• The district is seeking public feedback regarding the 2022-2023 academic calendar. Please see below to view the proposed calendar and share input to be considered by the board at the February 7 meeting.
• Reviewed reports from recent superintendent advisory committee meetings including infrastructure, school improvement, finance, and diversity, equity, and inclusion committees.
• Approved the recommendation of the Reconsideration Committee’s review of a book recently challenged. Voting in support of the committee’s recommendation, the book will remain in circulation at the high school for the rest of the year and circulation will be restricted at the middle school with parental permission required. The book may be removed from our libraries during the “weeding” process due to lack of interest, having only been checked out a few times in over ten years.
• The district is seeking feedback on our updated Return to Learn and ESSER III plans. Please see below for updated plans and feedback opportunities.
The next regularly scheduled school board meeting will take place on February 7, 2022 at 5:00pm in the multi-purpose room of the Bondurant-Farrar Middle School located at 300 Garfield Street SW in Bondurant. For more information, visit www.bfschools.org/Page/854.
Contact the Board:
The superintendent serves as the community’s liaison to the board of education. District patrons are encouraged to send questions, comments and suggestions to Superintendent Rich Powers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General questions, comments, or concerns should be handled at the lowest level possible. If you are unsure where to start, please refer to our General Inquiries form, which can be found at www.bfschools.org/contactus.
A Day of Service to Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Provide Input on Proposed School Calendar
The district is seeking feedback on the proposed 2022-23 academic calendar.
As a reminder, Iowa law prohibits districts from setting school start dates prior to August 23. In light of that information, we invite you to review the current calendar draft and provide your input through the electronic form linked below.
Feedback must be received by the end of the day on February 2 and will be shared with the Bondurant-Farrar Board of Education in advance of their February 7 meeting.
Sharing Updated Plans & Seeking Community Feedback
The district is required by the Department of Education to seek feedback and consider updating our Return to Learn and ESSER III plans every six months. Our plans were initially shared with members of our school community for input and later approved by our school board in August 2021.
At this time, we are following up with stakeholders to share proposed changes and seek another round of feedback to be shared with the board. Through the links below, these plans can be reviewed and feedback can be submitted electronically through the end of the day on February 2, 2022.
- Return to Learn proposed changes
- ESSER III proposed changes
Thank you for taking time to review the latest issue of the Bondurant-Farrar E-Briefing. The purpose of this publication is to provide board updates, news, and events from around the district. If you have suggestions, comments, or feedback regarding this publication, please reach out!